Ischia, Capri, Procida and Vivara: Ischia, Capri, Procida and Vivara: these are the partenopean islands in the bay of Naples. In the north of the gulf are situated Ischia, Procida and Vivara, looking toward the "Flegrea" coast (and "Flegree" is their name), while in the south of the gulf, opposite to the Sorrento peninsula, lays Capri. The "flegree" islands are different from Capri both for their position and their different geological origins.
     Ischia is the largest island, 47 square kilometers, followed by Capri with an extension less more the 10
square kilometers and Procida, which is about 3 square
kilometers. Procida is linked to the small island of Vivara which is a wonderful natural reserve.
 
  Ischia is the most important. The harbour area is the trading part of the town and another important area is that one around the "Castello Aragonese" which is called "Ischia Ponte", a picturesque ancient fisher village. The evocative harbour of Ischia was originally the crater of a volcano, now extinct and sunk, which originated a lake.
It remained a lake until 1854 when King Ferdinand of
Bourbon ordered to force a passage to the sea, and so
opening the harbour. The last volcanic event on the island happened in the area of Ischia: in 1301, from a crater opened in the Fiaiano's area, a lava-flow run down to the sea, covering houses and fields, originating the actual "Punta Molina". It was such a long and violent phenomenon that the inhabitants left the isle for two years. Owing to this In 1853 the Bourbon realized a reafforestation of the pine-wood forest in that area that we can still admire today.
 

Forio is situated on the northren side of the island, where you can find a lot of evocative areas of naturalistic interest. This territory is particulary for its wine industry: about 60% of the island's wine production comes from this area. Near Fono we can find two wonderful beaches, Citara and Cava dell'isola, and also very important thermal sources in Citara and in the bay of Sorgeto, where it's possible to take a warm bath in all seasons.
 
Casamicciola Terme was famous and renowned in the past as a thermal area for its specially pure and bene- ficient waters. During 1800 Casamicciola's thermal baths were frequented by a lot of very important people. This town is also famous because it was strucked by many disasters like a terrible earthquake in 1883, in which there were enormous damages and almost 1/3 of the inhabitants of the island died. Nowadays Casamicciola is still the place with the highest sismic danger of the island, because it's situated on a deep underground fault. Behind the centre of the town there are pine forest and
chestnut woods and pathways to climb up to the Epomeo mountain.
 
In Lacco Ameno there are also important thermal
baths (terme Rizzoli); this town has an ancient past, infact there are found the remains of greek civilization which dates back to 757 b.C.. During the sixties, when Prof. Bruchner, an archeologist which conducted the excavations of the rest of a necrspolis, many evidences of the Eubei's presence, ancient greek colonizing people, were found. Moreover, there is a little museum in which it's possible to visit the crypt of S. Restituta's Church, where secret catacombs and remains of an old palaeocristian cathedral are kept.
 

Serrara Fontana and Barano are situated above the sea-level. Their characteristic is a tipical mountain territory where a lot of pathways, leading to the top of the Epomeo Mountain, are starting. Nevertheless, these towns have their coast areas: the evocative little village of Sant'Angelo, where it's possible to see the ever active fumaroles; the Maronti beach, the largest beach of the island with the creeks of Cava Scura and Olmitello.